Bloglovin

Limitless Literature

Saturday 28 March 2015

Review: Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott

What this book is about...
Tella Holloway is losing it. Her brother is sick, and when a dozen doctors can't determine what's wrong, her parents decide to move to Montana for the fresh air. She's lost her friends, her parents are driving her crazy, her brother is dying-and she's hopeless to change anything.
Until she receives mysterious instructions on how to become a Contender in the Brimstone Bleed. It's an epic race across jungle, desert, ocean, and mountain that could win her the prize she desperately desires: the Cure for people they love, and there's no guarantee that Tella (or any of them) will survive the race.
The jungle is terrifying, the clock is ticking, and Tella knows she can't trust the allies she makes. And one big question emerges: Why have so many fallen sick in the first place?

My initial expectations...
Since this was what the book club I attend chose to read, I felt obligated to buy it and take a peek. Whenever I asked my friends what it was about they would just say it was like a mix of Pokemon, Digimon and the Hunger Games. Obviously, that made me a bit skeptical, but also quite curious to see how the author would pull off such a strange mixture of ideas.

What I liked about this book...
For such a strange concept, it was executed quite well. The companions (known as Pandoras) were both cute and dangerous. I was consistently on the edge of my seat waiting for them to reveal new abilities.
Though I'm not going to name names to avoid spoilers, I appreciated the fact that Scott embraced death in her book. In intense situations like the Brimstone Bleed, death is basically inevitable. I hate when authors try to make everything so censored, so a little bit of death and gore was a perfectly logical. 
I also really enjoyed all the short chapters. I hate chapters that go on and on and on and the short chapters made taking breaks much easier. 

What I didn't like about this book...
The first person Tella reminded me of was myself. That is not a good thing. I am admittedly very conceeded and obsessed with looking perfect head to toe in almost every situation, even life or death if it comes down to it. Just like Tella I tend to fall head over heels for any boy who shows me the slightest bit of attention. Reading this book from her point of view made me hate myself at times after realizing how annoying I must seem to other people.

My overall views...
While its being referred to as just another Hunger Games rip-off, this book is unique in its own way. I actually think I liked it more than the Hunger Games, but that's just my opinion. The amazing plot and consistent action definitely compensated for the annoying narration and the a bit too gushy romance. 

I give this book 3.5/5 stars on Goodreads!
Would I recommend it to anyone? Yes. Probably to all my Pokemon/Digimon loving friends. 
Would I read it again? Maybe. If I don't have anything else to read. 

(For those that have read this book, or are currently reading this book) What do you think of the main character/narrator Tella? What do you think of the romance? Do you think it moved too fast? What was your favourite Pandora? If you could have a Pandora and customize it to be any animal with any powers, what would you choose? 

No comments:

Post a Comment