Bloglovin

Limitless Literature

Wednesday 22 April 2015

Review: Unbreakable by Kami Garcia

Synopsis:

When Kennedy Waters finds her mother dead, her world begins to unravel. She doesn’t know that paranormal forces in a much darker world are the ones pulling the strings. Not until identical twins Jared and Lukas Lockhart break into Kennedy’s room and destroy a dangerous spirit sent to kill her. The brothers reveal that her mother was part of an ancient secret society responsible for protecting the world from a vengeful demon — a society whose five members were all murdered on the same night.

Now Kennedy has to take her mother’s place in the Legion if she wants to uncover the truth and stay alive. Along with new Legion members Priest and Alara, the teens race to find the only weapon that might be able to destroy the demon — battling the deadly spirits he controls every step of the way.


My Initial Expectations:

When I picked this up I had already read the first Beautiful Creatures book. Though I didn't love the plot of that series and decided to abandon it, I did enjoy the writing style. Therefore, when I found out Kami Garcia had gone out on her own to write a new series, I thought I would try it out. Since I read this book a while after it was released I read through a ton of reviews by other readers. Almost every review I came across talked about it being a copy cat of the hit television show Supernatural. For those that don't know me, I am a huge fan of Supernatural. Dean Winchester is basically my spirit animal. That being so, I was both excited and wary to read this. I never like obvious copy cats, but I was hoping there would be a unique twist to this book that would make up for its unoriginality. 

My thoughts: 

My main problem with this book was that I was never once scarred. This is saying a lot since I am one of the easiest people to scare. I get that it's a YA book and so it can't be too gory or intense, but it could've at least made me a bit jumpy. The only time I was really on the edge of my seat was when my favorite character was in trouble. 

Speaking of the characters...I think the two brothers that are close but not close at the same time was a bit too close to Supernatural's Sam and Dean Winchester for me to be comfortable with them. Because it was obvious who these characters were based off of, everything they did was so predictable. 
As for Kennedy, our underdog protagonist, I surprisingly enjoyed her. This was mostly because she was one of the most realistic YA characters I've come across in a very long time. She didn't just jump onto the paranormal bandwagon the second two hot guys came across her path. She was skeptical and she made sure to ask questions. 

While this book may be filled with countless cliches (love triangle, instant romance, resident bitch that eventual accepts the new girl, etc) and more than a few obvious parallels to one of my favorite television shows, I was an entertaining and fast-paced read (the chapters were never more than 5 pages). 

I gave this book 3.5/5 stars on Goodreads!

Would I recommend it? Sure. Maybe to someone who's just getting into the paranormal genre. 

Would I re-read it? Nah. There's nothing really worth looking over twice. 

What did you guys think? Do you think the parallels to Supernatural are as obvious as I think they are? Does that make you like it/want to read it more or less? If you were a member of the Legion, what would your specialty be? 

No comments:

Post a Comment